Monday, August 1, 2011

Jesus, the Ultimate Hero

With temperatures in North Texas over 100 degrees every day for a month so far this summer, my husband and I have gone to see a number of movies. We always enjoy movie-watching, but I can’t remember going quite as often as we have this year. Most of them have been action shows, ranging from stories about aliens to “Harry Potter 7.” Some have been pretty good while others have been weak in plot, characters, and acting. Whether good or bad, many of our choices focus on a character who rescues those at risk—the earth, the universe, the town, the pretty girl, etc.
The strongest heroes willingly give up their own lives to save others (even if they don’t end up dying in the end). Some of my all-time favorites include Frodo Baggins in “Lord of the Rings,” Harry Potter and his mother, Batman, and Neo in “The Matrix” trilogy. Each of these characters overcomes evil because he sacrifices himself for the sake of others.

However, at best movie heroes are merely shadows of the ultimate Hero, Jesus Christ. He willingly gave up heaven to become a man and experience a cruel execution to buy freedom from sin and death for every person. What a great hero! What other god would suffer a humiliating death for ordinary and sinful people who have turned their backs on him?

Are we willing to sacrifice for others?

If we want to lead our children, our friends, our co-workers, and neighbors spiritually, we need a Christlike attitude (Phil. 2:3-8). Will we give up comfort, money, popularity, or time to lead them to God’s kingdom? Will we love the unlovely or the helpless to show them Jesus? These are hard things—at least for me! Unless we believe that God’s kingdom is worth such sacrifice, we can’t significantly impact the lives of those around us.

How does your life echo the sacrifice of Jesus, the Super Hero? 

4 comments:

  1. Have you read David Platt's "Radical"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read it. It is a wonderful thought-provoking and challenging book. What were your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has definitely spurred me on to really examine how I live the gospel in all areas of my life. Your post sorta made me think of some points in it. The whole idea of willingness to sacrifice for others. Gospel-centered living does not look like a Hollywood movie, etc.

    It has convicted me in that does my life identify with Christ or does it identify with being an American. (Not that being an American is wrong) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that's why I liked the book so much--I thought Platt was right about a lot of things:) I know what you are saying about finding identity in being an American. That is what we hear from everything around us so it's normal to think that way. God calls us to think differently, but it often takes time for a new way of thinking to settle in! Thanks for your great comments!

    ReplyDelete