Saturday, January 7, 2012

Growing in Prayer this Year

When I led women’s ministries in churches, the position of prayer coordinator was often difficult to fill. Most of us (and I include myself here) have a mental image of the ideal pray-er, and we are aware of our own inadequacies. The women I approached often expressed their surprise at being asked to shoulder such a responsibility and their belief that almost anyone else would be better equipped for the role.

What is it about prayer that makes us feel so inadequate? What steps can we take to move forward?

First, let’s shed the image of the woman who spends hours in prayer each day. That imaginary picture is what makes us feel most inadequate. Instead, accept prayer as an area of growth that will continue for a lifetime. Just as you realize that you won’t ever be the perfect saint this side of heaven, accept yourself as one who is growing in prayer. This attitude has been most freeing to me.
   
Second, take baby steps this year. How can you improve a little in three areas: quantity, quality, and consistency?  Be practical and reasonable, but also stretch yourself to grow.  What can you let go of to increase your time with God? Reading blogs? So much time on Facebook? Telephone time? Constantly entertaining your kids? Wasted time?

Third, see prayer as a two-way conversation; it is not simply you talking to God but it also includes time of listening to him. That means some time in the scriptures and time listening. Lack of stillness increases the day's stress. 

I read a quote from Evelyn Underhill this morning in which she describes God as the one who “has everything to tell us and nothing to learn from us.” Although we know its truth, her statement seemed profoundly practical for my own prayer life. Does it make sense to give God my to-do list for him and end the conversation?

How can you incorporate time in the word and time of silence and solitude? For you young moms, that may be a challenge. It certainly was for me when I had little ones. Develop a goal for growth rather than perfection. Can you read one chapter of Proverbs each day, repeating it every month? Are you able to read a Psalm a day or a chapter in the Gospels? Can you take five minutes after hearing God in his word to sit still and ponder his message to you? What is a reasonable step from where you are now?

The journey of growing in prayer is worth time setting a goal for year and planning how to achieve it. 

4 comments:

  1. Having what I'm praying about organized into categories and put into lists helps me. God answers a prayer? I move it to the answered prayer list and thank God for it. Applying what I'd learned in the rest of my life worked well for my prayer life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I know they will help others as they seek to grow in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the insight. My Young Life midschoolers became amazing prayer warriors with 3 word prayers. Simply stating your hope, thanks, or needs in 3 words was powerful. For example, while I was leading them my husband and I were separated after 25 years. We prayed, "Under one roof" for a year. As you would suspect God healed our hurts and we just celebrated our 34th year of marriage. These girls who knew little about Christianity got the power of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting and challenging idea! Thank you for sharing it. I am going to try this myself this week.

    ReplyDelete