Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thankful in Everything? Really?


Each year I ask God for verses to pray for myself for the next twelve months, focusing on some weak area in my walk of faith. During 2011, I have prayed 1 Thess. 5:16-18: “Always rejoice, constantly pray, in everything give thanks. For this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (NET). Apparently, all three of these commands are included in the statement that it is God’s will for us. The terms always, constantly, and in everything mean that these responses are to be part of our daily lives.

As we approach the celebration of Thanksgiving here in the U.S., many of us consider the good things for which we are thankful, and that is appropriate and good. It may be, however, that we should spend time being thankful for the other circumstances and even heartaches for which it is difficult to rejoice and give thanks.

How can we be thankful and joyful in everything? Here are some things that I have learned to do.

First, consider the greatness and goodness of God in the midst of the tough situations. How has he worked and revealed himself? How has he protected and supported you in the trials?

Second, examine how God has changed you to become more like Jesus because of all that has happened. Are you more loving? More unselfish? More peaceful? More prayerful? Have you grown to trust God more and become more dependent on him?

Third, how has your response to the hard times allowed you to be a light to others? What have you learned about compassion for others dealing with hurt, loss, or illness? Have you learned to be more supportive and loving? Have you shown others your faith shining through the problems?

As I look back on this past year, I would call it a hard one, but God has been a rock, a refuge, and a source of strength when I faced hurt and confusion. When I felt lost, I knew that he was there to guide me step-by-step even though I prefer having a roadmap. He has drawn me into greater dependence upon him for provision and for guidance than ever before. I am grateful that he is changing me, and I rejoice in his presence.

As we celebrate Thanksgiving this year, let’s not be content with focusing on the obvious blessings, but let’s spend time considering everything and thank God for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment