Saturday, November 12, 2011

Processing Herman Cain and Joe Paterno Stories



The fact that the world is broken has once again been confirmed by headline stories this week. Someone is lying in the Cain saga, and many are guilty of failing in their responsibilities at Penn State. Some reactions to the stories surprise me, too. Our world is broken by sin, affecting our actions and our thinking. I am trying to process these messes. I would love to hear your thoughts after you read mine.

My heart breaks from the hurt and pain of the young men whose lives were tragically affected by sexual abuse while those who had the power to stop it did nothing when they learned of what was going on. How many boys were molested after the powers that be turned deaf ears to the situation? How can football be so commanding that it trumps morality? How can Paterno and the university leadership fail to value the children affected? And how can the students think that Paterno bears no guilt? How can they think that he bears no more responsibility as the Head Coach than Mike McQueary, his young assistant? The greater the responsibility, the more accountability there is. I find myself confused by the violent response.

Herman Cain says that the women who have accused him are lying, and they say that he is. How are voters to respond? Certainly, we aren’t to determine someone’s guilt or innocence based on rumors and allegations. Even in the workplace, however, wise leaders often place an alleged sexual harasser on leave while the situation is clarified. How can anyone vote for Cain without more facts? Can we vote for someone based solely on his politics or does his integrity matter? Are some of the same people who were adamant that Bill Clinton should be put out of office now turning a deaf ear to the women who have alleged harassment because Cain’s policies are more in line with theirs? As a woman, I tend to believe it when this many women speak out, but I don’t want to judge too quickly. I know they could simply want revenge of some kind or publicity. (That doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense when some of them are anonymous and won settlements against him years ago.) Without declaring him guilty, I still wouldn’t vote for him without more disclosure. We can’t risk electing a President who lacks integrity.

As a follower of Christ, integrity matters. I cannot vote for someone simply because he/she claims the Christian card or agrees with my political views. I must pray for and publically call for justice for the marginalized victims in both cases. I must pray for Cain, Paterno, and even Sandusky--everyone involved. I pray for repentance where it is needed and for the truth to come out. I pray for healing for those who have been victimized. I pray for Christ to return and usher in a perfect world.

5 comments:

  1. What about Clinton's apologists who are now leading the attack against Cain? Has their moral fiber been strengthened or is it all about the politics? And what about women whose consciousnesses were satisfied by money in the past? Are they really interested in the welfare of the country or do they think there's more to be gained for them personally? When sexual harassment was the new toy of the politically correct, I was forced to sit in seminars encouraging me to consider all of my past interactions in the company to ferret out any hint of sexual harassment. I thought it was a ridiculous waste of my time, but the same seminar could have inspired the complaints against someone like Cain. We really do need to pray for our country, for our votes and for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid points, Jane. However, there is true sexual harassment and it is important to hear those who have been it's victims. God is very hard on those who use their power to take advantage of others dependent upon them. Although you and I may never have experienced it, it is still something that needs to be investigated before giving allegiance to someone who possibly trated others that way. He may be innocent but we can't determine that with his refusals to discuss it and allow the women to speak. I believe we should err on the side of possible victims if we err. We certainly agree that prayer is needed. Thanks for your always thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But isn't erring on the side of possible victims like assuming guilt before trial? Let's not forget the story of the Duke Lacrosse players falsely accused, or more recently the Justin Beiber paternity accusation. Although in my opinion Herman Cain has done a poor job of explaining his situation, he is still innocent until proven guilty (or at least more information is made available).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kay. I wrestled with that also, but my personal feeling is that I am not a jury and haven't decided guilt or innocence. I am looking at this as a leadership issue, an issue of the highest moral character. Cain has done and said nothing to make me see that in him. Standards for the President aren't necessarily the same as determining whether to find someone guilty before the law. Many, many defendants are guilty before God and yet not guilty legally because of lack of evidence. I respect you and Jane because you have both brought up valid points, but I am looking for a man of proven integrity to vote for, and I don't see Cain as even attempting to defend the issues, which smells suspicious. I have no clue if he is guilty because he paid the women off not to talk and hasn't released them. Thats not the kind of openness I expect from a man of integrity. I realize there is a place for debate. I don't have all the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. In his handling of this issue, Herman Cain has failed to show the kind of leadership qualities that I seek as an important part of my decision making process in choosing a candidate for any position of leadership, including the presidency. Character really does count.

    ReplyDelete