Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lying Down in Green Pastures

Psalm 23 may be the most beloved and memorized of all the Psalms. We appreciate the images of peaceful fields and of clean, white sheep tended by God. However, I have found that the reality of living out the truths of this passage can be tough. According to verse 2, the shepherd forces the sheep to lie down in green pastures. Apparently, lying down isn’t easy for sheep, and it’s certainly not normal for me. I like to know that my days are filled with purpose and plans. To rest seems wrong somehow!

I am clearly in a season of resting. A few months ago God
moved me away from a busy, people and goal-oriented ministry job at a church to days alone writing and concentrating on family and home. It has been a time of huge transition and even loss, but I know that God has me here not only to lie down but also to feed on green pastures. Too often in our busyness we eat junk food instead of the true bread of life. Thus, God often has to place us in situations where we are forced to slow down and consume the good stuff.  Rather than focusing on less important goals or tasks, even good and valuable ones, we find our true satisfaction by feeding on God and his word. Real contentment comes from a life centered in him.
   
You, too, may be in God’s season of rest and refreshment, as I am. If you find it a difficult transition, I encourage you to embrace its benefits rather than argue and fight against God’s purposes. It is a time to learn contentment and satisfaction in God alone.

I would love to hear how God made you lie down in green pastures and your response. 

2 comments:

  1. I found your Bible studies over at bible.org, and I was so thrilled with doing them! Thank you so much! I'm digging into I Peter right now.

    I loved your post today. "lying down" was not something that came easy for me, either. My experience was going through Breast Cancer. It was hard, but harder still was finding my way afterwards. It seemed for a long time that the rest of the "flock" had moved on while I was still trying to get up and catch up with life.
    I used to think there were some really hard lessons to learn in life, but I now believe that contentment is the hardest. And I didn't know that until life became uncomfortable, I was "set aside", and I felt unusable. All that you said here is soooooo true. He never leaves us alone when we are lying down in the green pastures. He may be silent, but HE IS THERE! And I learned that contentment comes through knowing that one thing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story about rest and contentment, Cora. I also appreciate your encouragement with my Bible studies.

    ReplyDelete