Friday, February 4, 2011

Unexpected Road Problems



We are experiencing quite a winter here in North Texas! Today is day four of a deep freeze that we rarely see. An inch of ice fell four nights ago, and last night five inches of snow covered it. Although the scenery is beautiful, it’s a transportation nightmare. This morning my husband encountered an unexpected closure on the tollway and then found the side roads so slick from snow-covered ice that he turned back home.

Sometimes the road where God leads us isn’t easy,
and we are tempted to turn around instead of persevering in faith, but a smooth path doesn’t prove God’s will or his favor. Jesus, Paul, and thousands of believers who have gone before us have traveled difficult roads following God.

In July I left my church staff position, firmly believing that God was leading me into the unknown, but the journey has held unexpected problems.  While I have worked on a book which I believe God wants me to write, we have encountered unanticipated bills (2 new hot water heaters, surgery on our dog’s knee for a torn ACL, extermination for critters in the attic, heater repair, a new couch to replace the one the dogs tore—to name only the big ones). I feel guilty not contributing to our income. With each new expense it gets more difficult to trust God rather than turn around and just find a job.

When I begin to worry about stretching our dollars, I deliberately remember God’s past faithfulness, his present provision (which is really ample), and his call to continue following him. It’s no accident that he led me to 1 Thess. 5:16-18 as his verses for me in 2011: “Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

How do you stay the course when you encounter unexpected problems?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for openness & honesty, for your encouragement to trust God, and for sharing the verses He has given you for 2011. One passage that I cherish is Mark 6:45-52, where the disciples are doing exactly what Jesus directed - "get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side" - and yet they encounter their own transportation nightmare (i.e., straining against the wind). My rough times make me question if I am really where God wants me => maybe I should quit & turn around? However, as you point out, trusting God is a deliberate choice. I have been contemplating Romans 15:13: "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
    Looking forward to the book God has you writing, and will pray for your perseverance (& obedience)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great verses, Evelyn, for such situations. Thanks so much for sharing them:)

    ReplyDelete