Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Picture of Trust at Cirque du Soleil

Last night my husband and I went to Cirque du Soleil, the OVO show. It was our first time to attend one of these creative and spectacular performances. My husband asked me if I knew what to expect, and I answered “amazement!” Almost every performance had roots in the circus of old, but it was enhanced and ramped up to a new high. Wow—it truly was incredible!

One outstanding act involved a man and woman hanging together on a rope, similar to the women who twisted on ropes around the tents of circuses that I attended as a child. However, this couple was more daring than any of those rope swingers (not sure what you call these performers).
Several times this woman let go of her grip on the rope and allowed the man to hold her simply by one ankle. (I wish I had a picture of that feat but all I could find was a photo of the couple.) There was no net below, no backup plan. If his strength failed, she was likely dead since she was suspended upside down at least twenty-five feet above the hard floor.

The friend sitting beside me said that she could only think about whether she trusted God as much as that woman trusted that man. Great insight! Have I let go of my grip on my life and really committed it to God, believing he has the power and love to take care of me and those I love? I have in some areas, but I have to admit that there are others where I hold on, just in case. What do I fear that God will do if I let go? God is wise and powerful enough to trust. The real danger is using my own limited wisdom to run my own life. 

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all your ways, and he will make your paths straight” (Prov. 3:5-6, NET).

What areas of your life are you gripping instead of trusting God? 

No comments:

Post a Comment