Monday, January 17, 2011

I Don't Always Get It

My dog Libby had surgery three days ago for a torn ACL. (Yes, dogs tear them just like we do!) She spent twenty-seven hours in a strange place handled by unknown people. She awoke in pain, unable to put weight on her left rear leg without additional hurt, wearing a cone on her head. It is impossible to explain to her why we sent her alone into such misery and pain. Our actions will allow her to use her leg without discomfort, but she only knows temporary agony. Even when she begins to feel better, we must restrict her from running or jumping before her leg is totally healed. She won’t get that either!

Frequently God’s people endure painful situations because God must hurt us in order to help us. Although scripture gives general explanations,
we don’t always recognize the specific benefits of such trials. Sometimes we identify God’s work in hindsight, but not always. As finite creatures, we are unable to grasp his ways and his purposes. There is a huge gap between sinful humans and God similar to that between people and animals.

God says, “’For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Neither are your ways My ways,’ declares the LORD, ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts,’” (Is. 55:8-9, NASB).

When I don’t get it, I have learned to trust in God’s word to gain perspective and build my faith, knowing that God is at work to grow my character or to benefit his kingdom (Rom. 8:28-29). Although I now see only as through a mirror dimly (1 Cor. 13:12), I gain hope, faith, and perseverance as I trust in his goodness and love.

What verses help your faith when you don’t get it?


2 comments:

  1. Oh Kay, I just love this. Such a great truth for me TODAY. We need TODAY words! I know that a great scripture I run to when I'm struggling with walking out faith is Romans 5:1-5. It helps me to know that faith is producing things in me...that it's necessary like sun, water and soil to a growing plant. Oh Lord, let us be great, fruitful plants for Your Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that passage, Carrie. Great insights!

    ReplyDelete