Friday, August 19, 2011

Friends--Unique Gifts from God


Do you love fresh flowers? One of my favorites is a gardenia, not because of its beauty but because of its delicious fragrance. I could easily pick one out if given a blind smell test of a number of flowers. Of course for their beauty, roses can hardly be beat. I look forward to receiving a dozen red ones from my husband each year for our anniversary. Each type of flower provides a unique gift to the person who enjoys it.

Recently I have been thinking about various people whom I know. I see each one as a unique gift from God—family, friends, co-workers, fellow believers.

How are you a gift to your friends? What gifts do they bring into your life?

Some of my friends are at their best when encouraging or giving wise counsel. I know which ones will faithfully pray when I have a need. I depend upon others to give me a laugh and help me have fun. When I need someone to cry with, I know whom to call. Some are strong in God’s word while others excel at cooking and hospitality. I have faithful friends who stay in touch when I let time slide by without thinking. Whatever their strengths, each one is unique, bringing something special to our relationship and to my life.

If you are part of my circle of friends and family, I want to thank you for the gift of yourself. You have a special quality, a gift that I need—and so God sent you into my life!

“Two people are better than one because they reap more benefit from their labor. For if they fall, one will help his companion up. Furthermore, if two lie down together, they can keep each other warm . . . . Although an assailant may overpower one person, two can withstand him” (Ecc. 4:9-12, NET).

If you don’t have friends like these, go get some. The best way to make a friend is to be one!

Share special ways in which people are gifts to you.


2 comments:

  1. It's been a tough year on many fronts, but the most difficult two hours I've had were spent at the bedside of my favorite aunt as she passed with great difficulty from this world to the arms of her Lord. Immediately, I was faced with the duties of carrying out the funeral plans she had put into place. Two days later, I walked into the funeral home for the traditional viewing, though this casket was closed. The battle my aunt had fought was too deeply etched for the mortician's magic to erase. I politely received the earnest condolences of her friends in the small town she called home. After a while, I made my way to the display of floral gifts and was gratified by the love and respect her life had reaped. I reached the final arrangement, a huge basket of flowers dominated by fragrant white roses, and I could not believe my eyes. The flowers were from three of my best friends. One was in Wales on a mission trip, another had just suffered a bad fall and the other lived many states away. They'd followed my facebook postings and reached out to me with their lovely gift. All the tears I'd been unable to cry up until that moment rushed to my eyes. I found a nearby seat and for a moment, it was as if they were there with me, comforting me in my loss. Though we were many miles apart, our hearts were knit together and I knew their thoughts and prayers were with me. Thank you God for my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What thoughtful and sweet friends, Jane. I can only imagine what a blessing they were to you in such a difficult time. thanks you for shaing a wonderful example of the gift of friends.

    ReplyDelete