Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Stupidity and God's Sovereignty

I believe that the mighty Creator is also Ruler of all. Nothing happens to me without his approval. My actions are fenced in according to his will. Yet, my choices are mine, and my stupid mistakes are my own fault. I can only blame myself when I mess-up. However, I take comfort in knowing that God allowed me to blow it because of his purposes, even when I can't figure them out!

I traveled home from Los Angeles almost two weeks ago now. Stupidly, I left my laptop in the security area and never realized it until I was safely home.
My only excuse is that I became very upset at TSA when they body-searched me. This was the first time I had ever gone through a body scanner, and apparently I moved too soon. The result was the search. I believe in careful screening at airports, but I think invasive searches should be warranted. Because they gave no instructions for the scanner, either in person or on signage, I moved too soon. They refused to allow me to go back.

The good news is that they sent the computer to their Lost and Found. After 2 days of adjusting to my loss, they finally let me know that it was there. I sent them everything needed for them to ship it, and began waiting. It has been over a week since they received my prepaid label and release; yet, they haven't shipped. After leaving messages and sending several emails, I got a reply saying they only shipped things periodically, when the guys in shipping decided to ship.

With the latest chapter of my book written while I was gone, as well as revisions of every chapter, I can't really work on it at all. At first, I considered it a vacation, but now I really want to get back to work.

Some minutes I am angry at such mismanagement in the government; other times I am angry at myself. But I do know God has the computer in his care and he has purpose. I am doing all I can to get it, but in the end, it is in his sovereign hands as to whether it ever gets here.

A computer with only a few days work and a few other documents lost (the rest is backed up), Is small and minor compared to other circumstances you may be facing. Many really tough things are not caused by poor or stupid choices. But, if your difficulties are your own fault because of your sins or errors in judgement, you can also take comfort in knowing God allowed it for good if you will let him use it for the positive. Consider what he may teach you and how you can use it to influence others.

The "all things" of Rom. 8:28 means all thing. "We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to
His purpose."

4 comments:

  1. oh dear me...that has happened to one of us before but we retrieved it prior to departing...it was just a dumb mistake. Then D. lost his keys and was sure they were in the Atlanta airport where they whisk you through in lightening speed...thus you lose things! Apparently in his haste he dumped them in his laptop bag not the gray bin....but we didn't find them there for 6 mths! They were happily sitting at the bottom of the bag just waiting to be found.
    May you get that computer back quickly...that sounds like a prayer request. What do you think about that? No wonder you were upset last week!
    Father..you are the orchestrator of all things. would you please give expediency to the people in that dept and would you also give them a special eye to this dilemma...and calm Kay in all of this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friend, for your prayers and encouragement. I needed both, and God sent you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet husband nags at me all the time so I won't face this. He expects frequent updates to be emailed to him. He doesn't read them. He just stores them. Anytime I say, "I just finished...," he says "Did you email me a copy?" He's also a big fan of thumb drives and frequently asks if the latest version of my poetry, short stories and novels saved to a thumb drive. In fact, he likes me to have two of everything. He makes me crazy asking this of me all the time, but I just got a lot more appreciative of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a wise husband! I realized when I left town that I needed to back it up, but I wrote while gone and should have emailed it. And there are things not backed up which I now realize are also important.

    ReplyDelete