Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Doing What Comes Natural!

About eight o’clock last night I went into my backyard with my two terriers. As soon as they exited the door, they started running wild. They appeared to be chasing something in our yard and teaming up against it. Soon Maggie came out of the bushes carrying something in her mouth. Oh no, it was a baby rabbit! How could my sweet dogs have done such a thing? They simply did what comes natural, being bred to grab ground critters. I look forward to Christ’s return when even the animal kingdom is at peace. I cry over dead bunnies!

Even worse, is what happens when we humans do what comes natural. Brokenness and death follow our selfish actions and hurtful words. Jesus called his followers to live differently from the rest of the world by living supernaturally. How do we live out his teachings to love our enemies, to turn the other cheek, to forgive, and to seek what is best for others rather than ourselves?

I can only share what helps me move toward Christlikeness instead of doing what comes naturally:

·       First, I have found that I must be in God’s word so that his character and his love are at the forefront of my mind, centering my life on Christ. God’s Spirit is able to empower me to live life differently when I abide in Christ.
·         Second, I must be part of a community of faith which encourages me not to behave in ways that come naturally but to put others before myself. This may be a small group, a women’s Bible study group, or good friends who speak the truth; however, it must also include a church which preaches and teaches truth, even that which is hard to hear.
·         Third, I must regularly confess my sins. Otherwise, I fail to take the responsibility for not being the person God designed me to be by his great power that works within me.

What helps you choose what is godly rather than what comes naturally?

2 comments:

  1. I am reading Philip Yancey's book "Reaching for the Invisible God". He quotes Bro. Lawrence from his book "The Practice of the Presence of God". Bro. Lawrence emphasizes our need for God's help and then asks bluntly "but,how can we ask him without being with him". That is one way we learn how to do the unnatural when the natural wants to direct our thinking and our actions. Consider each unnatural act as an offering to God, that is one way we can "work out our salvation with fear and trembling"

    Oh it will be a marvelous day when we cross that ocean of death to walk on the celestial shore and take His Hand and no more will our unnaturalness govern for we will be whole in body,mind and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of it being an offering. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete