Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Way of the Cross

In observing reactions to the death of Osama Bin Laden this week, I am reminded that we Christians travel a different route from the world; we follow the way of the cross. That journey is generally misunderstood and unappreciated, even in the church. God asks us for a different response to events in our own lives and those in the news than the majority of people. We are called to follow Jesus to the cross and die to self, dispensing love for hatred, forgiveness for injury, and generosity for selfishness.

How are you and I doing at that? It’s not so easy when it involves someone like Bin Laden, who is so obviously undeserving. But we each have someone in our own lives who doesn’t deserve such treatment. Who is that person?

Our first answer should be ourselves. We often state that we don’t deserve God’s grace, but do we really believe it? I know that somehow I think I merit it more than Bin Laden—or the “friends” who slandered me or the boss who treated me unfairly. They don’t deserve my love or forgiveness, much less God’s!

Clearly, the way of the cross is tough for me because I don’t really see how unworthy I am; I fail to recognize that I need the cross as much as Hitler or Bin Laden or those who touch my own life. I pray for the grace to confront my pride and arrogance so that I embrace the truth that my sins cost Jesus his life, just as theirs did.
   
The way of the cross is costly; it’s hard to give to the undeserving, but I want to look like Jesus even when it’s hard.

What would the way of the cross look like in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment