Friday, May 13, 2011

American Idol and Our Freedom to Choose

Last night James Durbin, this year’s rocker, was eliminated from “American Idol,” and I was among his disappointed fans. Whether you watch the show or not, you are likely aware that the public votes on their favorites and eliminates a contestant each week until the last man/woman is standing. Despite James’ consistently amazing performances, his vocal range, and his emotional singing, three others will move on in hopes of winning this year’s prize.

The remaining singers are good but not great, engaging but not wowing. (And I do like Scotty, but he can’t touch James for showmanship.) In my view the AI audience has picked bland over exciting the past few seasons. The freedom to choose includes the risk of mistake, as we see in elections when voters fall for charisma over character and sound bites over issues. God allows us to choose, and that means he lets us make mistakes. 

You certainly may disagree with my assessment of this year’s “American Idol” talent, but hopefully, you follow my point: the freedom to choose doesn’t guarantee the best results. Would it be better for the judges to decide? That would mean fewer fans and lower television ratings. However, the ultimate winner might be a better choice.

As Christians, our freedom of choice means that we make bad choices, also. Why?
  •         We choose based on feelings which arise from our fallen hearts.
  •         We think we know best and don’t listen to God who knows the beginning from the end.
  •         We prefer people who look and seem like us or choices that feel safer.
  •         We don’t really know what is involved in the decision and seek no counsel from others with more experience and wisdom. (What do older people know?)

God gives us the power to choose, but it carries the risk of error. I am grateful that he takes our poor decisions, both big and small, and uses them by his grace to teach us and change us (Rom. 8:28-29). Nothing is wasted with God, even our mistakes.  For that, I am most grateful because I have made poor choices in every way listed.

What is your experience?

2 comments:

  1. Kay, this is my first visit to your site! I found you as a resource through Bible.org.

    Couldn't help but comment on this post as my hubby and I watched AI this past season, we ended up rooting for Scotty. We live in Raleigh, NC and Scotty is literally down the street from us in Garner. What started as home town support turned into a "God" thing supporting Scotty as we learned his heart to follow Jesus.

    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Scotty is a well grounded, mature believer of Christ (especially for being just 17).

    I'd love you to write a post on Scotty's choices. His choice to not compromise. His choice to honor God. His choice to humbly recognize it was God who made the choice for his life. His choice to lift the name of Jesus regardless of whether it would be popular. His choice to reject the pressures of Lady Ga-Ga, etc. By the way, his family and friends were asking our local Christian radio station to have our community pray for him specifically because he would have to be "mentored" by Lady Ga-Ga.

    I'd love for you to write a post about how God lifts the humble, the one who fears the Lord -- NOT the shiney, most talented, best looking, or most entertaining.

    I totally agree with you --- Scotty was not who we expected to win. He doesn't seem like what the world considers an American Idol. But isn't it amazing that God can override the thousands that had a choice to vote? Isn't it amazing that a kid from a small town in NC could win when he was up against the likes of James Durbin? I think Scotty won because he is a kid willing to honor God first through his gifts.

    Here is a link to the local news video of Scotty when he did his hometown concert (2 weeks before the finale). Its a shame AI chose to edit much of Scotty's "Jesus talk" out.

    http://www.wral.com/news/video/9596943/#/vid9596943

    I would skip to the time on the video 1:43:30 (instead of watching the first part that shows his arrival).

    Isn't it great God chooses the "bland", the "ordinary", the less "charasmatic"... so He can show Himself?

    Hope you hear the tone in my comment of friendly exchange :) Thanks so much for the resources you make available to followers of Christ!
    -- jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline, I think it's wonderful that you have let us all know more about Scotty. I appreciate your willingness to speak up for a great young man. I watched that video, actually, some time after my blog and was thrilled to see what a strong believer Scotty is.

    I think you have already written a great comment about him. We'll continue to watch him as he begins his journey as a new star on the country music scene, and who knows--I may end up blogging about him eventually.

    Many blessings:)

    ReplyDelete