Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Confessions of a Christmas Perfectionist

Even as a little girl I obsessed over our Christmas decorations. I clearly remember my annual annoyance at my sister’s work on the tree. I wanted the silver icicles perfectly hung, but she basically threw them on the branches.  Because my efforts to force her to do it my way failed, I resorted to rehanging them myself when everyone was out of the room.

That began years of desiring everything perfect during the holidays—decorations, food, gifts, house, and family. Although I wanted to have guests over, I refused to do so unless all was exactly as it should be. And who determined what that was? What I saw at the stores gave me a false perception of what “everyone else” had. Then, there were the Christmas parties we attended (usually church-related), which were held in the largest homes so there would be room for all. Although I knew such showplaces weren’t really representative, they were the standard I experienced. The comparison made me reluctant to invite anyone over at all.

This presents a problem since God calls His children to be hospitable (1 Pet. 4:9; Heb. 13:2).
Our homes belong to Him, not to us. He asks us to use them for His purposes, not to impress others. I actually enjoy hosting get-togethers, especially at Christmas. Somehow I bought into the cultural demands for more stuff, perfection, and extravagance. In trying to please people rather than God, the joy of hospitality was replaced with stress and discontent.

When I finally chose to please God instead trying to live up to unreal expectations of myself or from others, I began to host at least one group at Christmas. I serve whatever I have time to prepare; the decorations I already own are enough; and I get my house as clean as my time allows. What I can do without stressing is good enough. Instead of making the opinion of others into an idol of worship, I now enjoy the freedom of giving them what I can. I hope you will join meJ

2 comments: