Thursday, October 14, 2010

Resting in God's Lap

In God’s providence, we have two Westies; we got Libby as a puppy, but Maggie was a rescue off the street. Although they generally get along great, Libby is definitely jealous of any attention given Maggie. After all, my lap was her sole territory for over three years! When she sees Maggie there or hears me talk to her, she wants the same. Of course, it’s available; all she has to do is jump in my lap!

Often as Christians, we observe the peace of believers who walk closely with God and desire the same. I have been there as I sensed a tranquil faith in others. Jealous of the contentment they enjoy, we often do nothing to achieve it for ourselves by moving toward God. “Draw near to God and he will draw near to you” (Jam. 4:8). I know that I get too busy, too distracted, and too committed to the priorities of the culture to invest quality time with God, to get on His lap, so to speak.

How do we intentionally draw closer to God?

Psalm 31:2 describes our need: “But I have stilled and quietened my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.” We know the calming effect of a mother’s arms. Similarly, as we still and silence our souls in God’s presence, we find the rest that we desire. However, we are often so conditioned to noise and busyness that we struggle to calm our hearts and shut off our words. Rather than use our time with God to tell him what we want him to do, we need to decompress and rest against Him.

Last year in a time of burn-out, I discovered how different I am when I spend time on God’s lap. I plan to do that today with no agenda other than soaking in his presence and peace. Will you join me on His lap over the next few days? What makes this hard for you? Let us know how it goes.  

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading this I can hear you say "It's okay Libby, you can come up here too." What a good reminder that God's lap is big enough for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Rebecca! What a great reminder:)

    ReplyDelete