Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Hamilton Perspective

What absolute bedlam and joy were shown last night at the Texas Rangers’ game when they beat the hated Yankees in the 6th game of the ACLS! Fans, players, and Ranger announcers were visibly overwhelmed by the 6-1 win, which sends them to their first World Series. I had great fun even though I was sitting at home alone with my two dogs watching the game. It helped to share the joy of other fans by text, tweets, and Facebook. It was simply an amazing evening, one I never thought would happen.

So what is the Hamilton perspective?
Josh Hamilton received the series MVP award.  In a post-game interview with Ranger manager Ron Washington, he said that Josh’s presence affects the whole team; they all become better players because he is in the game.

I’m sure most of you know about Josh and his battle with drugs and alcohol. Again last night he gave God the glory and credit for his award and his life. He never seems to miss an opportunity to remind himself and all who listen that he owes all that he is to Jesus Christ. I was amazed at the cheers from the crowd at his statement.

When asked about himself, Josh said that he preferred to talk about his teammates, whom he credited for the part their community played in the season. The team loves and supports one another, and at the same time, they have great fun together. These guys expressed their love and support for Josh by thoughtfully beginning their championship celebrations with ginger ale in respect for his addiction and their desire to include him.

It seems like the church could learn some lessons from Josh Hamilton and the Ranger team, or maybe I am the only one who needs to learn! Do I have Hamilton’s humble perspective? How often do I give God the credit for who I am and what I accomplish? Do I remember those who helped me get where I am? Do I affect others by my presence? How supportive am I of someone who is struggling? Do I consider someone else’s needs before my own? Do I celebrate successes in God’s kingdom as much as a baseball championship?  

What is your takeaway from the Hamilton perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment