Thursday, November 1, 2012

Maybe 30 Gifts?


November is the month of Thanksgiving here in the U.S. when we pause to thank God for his blessings. Rather than focus on being grateful only one day, I plan to thank God for one of his gifts in my life each day this month, centering on one particular blessing. 

If you have read or heard about the premise of 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp, you may have been overwhelmed with the idea of reflecting on so many gifts, even wondering if you could think of that many!
I suggest a month of gifts, and maybe that will begin many of us on a daily journey of thanksgiving that lasts past November 2012.

Recognizing God's gifts, both small and large ones, helps foster the quality of contentment, which in turn moves us toward true peace and joy. Rather than become ensnared with the push to have more, we draw others to Christ when we become content and grateful, both counter-cultural qualities in our society. 

Last week my mother turned ninety, and today I thank God for the gift that is her life, as well as the ways that he has blessed her. She is a prayer warrior—her legacy to our family. Her mind is still sharp although her body is unsteady and weak. She has the provision that she needs to live where she can receive help and live among friends. Today I focus on her blessing in my life and the ways that God is blessing her.

How can we remember to thank God for one blessing daily this month? I intend to put it on my calendar and set a reminder notice so that I don’t forget.

What gift do you thank God for today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment