Monday, April 11, 2011

A Tale of Two Trials


I saw the envelope, I knew what it was—a jury summons. For two days last week I sat in the courthouse hearing a DWI case. Because Easter is near and I have been reading in the gospels, I couldn’t help but compare the trial I observed with those of Jesus (Matt. 26:57-67; 27:11-26; Mark 14:53-15:15; Luke 22:66-23:25: John 18:12-14, 19-40).

As they picked the jury, the attorneys on both sides questioned us individually about our ability to be unbiased and fair. In contrast, Jesus was convicted by those who already wanted him dead (John 11:47-57).

Although Jesus was innocent, he didn’t explain himself to the court but was silent as a lamb being led to slaughter (Isaiah 53:7). What a difference in our trial! Our defendant testified, hoping to persuade us that he was sober, an unusual move in a land where the presumption is innocence. Because of his refusal to take a breathalyzer test, we didn’t have the blood-alcohol level number that proves intoxication, giving him a chance to create reasonable doubt.  However, when the prosecutor asked the man whether he thought he could have passed the field sobriety tests if he had been sober, he answered, “Yes, I think I could have,” accidentally admitting his own guilt.

Jesus could have taken advantage of Pilate’s sympathies and pointed to the Jewish leaders who had conducted an illegal trial in the middle of the night and were predisposed to convict him. He could have called witnesses on his own behalf. He could have broken the chains that bound him and walked out without harm if he had chosen to do so!

But Jesus chose to take our guilt upon himself. He chose to be found guilty and hang on a cross for me and for you.

How do I respond to such an act as I approach Easter?
  • I own up to my own guilt and sins by confessing them rather than blaming others or giving excuses.
  • I bow in awe that God would become man and die in my place, providing complete acceptance by God and forgiveness for my sins.
  • I love and follow Christ as my Savior and King.

I pray that I keep the cross before me this year and grow to love Jesus more and more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment